IndAeMed_F: Re: CLOSED LOOP - On Track

  • From: USM Bish <bish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:35:08 +0530

Thru IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
   On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:32:34AM -0800, Anirudh Agrawal wrote:

[Punita bit excluded]

> Once they get a feel of the  response time of the centrifuge it
> is  like flying  an aircraft  for them  - what  do the  Mig-21,
> Mig-23, Mig-29  guys say?  Is the  centrifuge more  sluggish or
> more responsive than the aircraft?

I don't think they can ever be the same. Periods of above 6G in
flights occur  in very short bursts,  in random mode  either to
get away/ or  to get on the  tail. A 15 sec  spurt at 8 or  9 G
would virtually amount to chasing your own tail !

In actual flight, the rate of build up in ac can be much higher
than in simulated  environments, and to my belief,  this is THE
MOST IMPORTANT factor  for G-LOC, rather than  duration or peak
acceleration.

While in the Sqn, I had followed up the SARPP of a T-96 Sqn for
almost a year. There were NO instances of a 6+G lasting even 10
sec. Nearly  all were under 6  seconds. There were quite  a few
spikes 10+G lasting for less than 2  sec. The rate of build up/
decay for such episodes may be as high as 3 to 4 g/sec.

I do  not know  the state in  Su-30 or  Mig-29, but  Mig-23 and
Mig-27 would be similar  or less. I have also seen  a record of
10.6 G  on a  Jaguar, in  a clean  configuration during  a BADC
exercise  with a  T-96  on its  tail. The  aircraft  had to  be
brought down for for X-Rays (stress fracture check of airframe)
Yes, accn can stress the airframe as well !

The stress  on the  cardio-vascular physiology  imposed in  the
centrifuge, (to me) appears much more than in an actual flight.
But then, in  real  flight there  also  other  factors at  play
simultaneously, (besides acceleration) affecting the CVS, which
may degrade performance, which at times we fail to appreciate.

Centrifuge can never be like the real thing ...

Just my POV

Bish

To send messages to the full list please send to IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To view the archive of messages on this list please visit:
//www.freelists.org/archives/indaemed/

To add/change/remove your addresses/names please write to
Anirudh Agrawal at : anirudh_a@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alternate List : IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage of this List at : http://www.AvMedNet.Net
ISAM Web Page at: http://www.ISAM-India.org