IndAeMed_F: Re: GLOC Disposal

  • From: USM Bish <bish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:51:30 +0530

Thru IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
   On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 06:35:36AM -0700, PK Tyagi, MD DNB wrote:

> > What is the disposal of such cases, now that the IAP is revised
> > for GLOC episodes in flight ?

Yup, this is very much the bone of contention:

> "Pilots who experience  GLOC in flight will be  referred to IAM
> with full history of sortie profile,  flight data print out and
> AGS worn  during that  sortie. They will  be placed  in medical
> category A4G1 &  expeditiously referred to IAM  for evaluation.
> Here  they  would  undergo  full  biochemical  assessment  with
> extended GTT, HC evaluation and possible tilt table study".

This is very  much it. Since we  have a policy in  place, it is
obvious there  must be some  guidelines as  to how to  go about
evaluating such cases (besides  exclusion of associated factors
like ANS anomalies, Glucose anomalies etc). In any case, if the
system  of HPA  medicals are  still  in place,  these would  be
detected in most cases, much earlier.

Further, there must  be concrete guidelines for  evaluation and
acceptance/ rejection  as well. If these  are not in  place, it
defeats  the   purpose  of   "placed  in   Med  Cat   A4G1  and
expeditiously referred to IAM for evaluation".

As I  understand, GLOC is  a physiological phenomenon  and most
cases  would  come  out  with a  clean  chit  for  pre-existing
maladies. The onus would therefore be  on the Accn studies, for
which there  should be clear guidelines.  If none exist,  it is
imperative that the existing policy  be suspended in toto, till
such a time  a justifyable protocol is  formulated. The closed-
loop system  may be of  help here, but  that would take  a fair
amount  of time  to get  any significant  material evidence  to
formulate a policy.

The risk of  enforcing such a policy,  is obviously, reluctance
of self reporting. This would be counterproductive. There is no
way of  knowing cases  of G-LOC  in the  air unless  the person
affected comes forward to report. And he will NOT !

> My personal  view is that  GLOC is a  physiological phenomenon,
> not uncommon in  fighter & trainer flying  (in-flight incidence
> being 10.8% &  10.5% in two IAF  studies, 12% in USAF  & 19% in
> RAF). If a  pilot does suffer a  GLOC, the only advise  I would
> give to him is take a day off and resume normal flying the next
> day to  ward off  the effects  of psychological  suppression if
> any. Additionally, the  Gz physiology, the importance  of AGSM,
> physical fitness, & the necessity to avoid factors affecting Gz
> tolerance could be  re-emphasised to him. I WOULD  THEN LIKE TO
> LEAVE HIM ALONE.

I tend  to second  this view.  It makes  a lot  of sense.  This
suggestion  of  local  follow  up  with  re-inforcement  of  G-
tolerance enhancing techniques are the  only things that should
be  practiced  at  this  stage.  Ofcourse, local  exclusion  of
concurrent ailments or pre-dispositions  like dehydration/ heat
stress etc would be needed. Cases  may be referred only if some
non-transient anomaly is suspected/ found.

> Surprisingly, Modak in an article in  the latest issue of IJASM
> did recommend  that every case of  GLOC be evaluated at  IAM. I
> doubt if  any other  acceleration physiologist  would agree  to
> this poorly thought out recommendation.

I have no comment on this  issue. Modak surely had something in
his mind ... in case he is reading  this, he may be in a better
position to explain. This, however, is inconsequential.

What is  more important,  perhaps, is  the stand  taken by  the
policy makers who should be in  a position to clarify issues. I
am certain,  policies are not  formulated based  on recommenda-
tions of authors in IJASM. It is an organisational decision.

> Grounding for evaluation, is in order  only if the local av med
> physician & / or sqn flying  supervisors have reason to believe
> that a particular  pilot has been having  recurrent episodes of
> GLOC which could possibly indicate low G tolerance.

Yes, this is a better approach ...

> Grounding  for a  single  GLOC episode  may  have  been a  wise
> decision in 70s but is to be  considered a regressive step in a
> modern air force like ours and that two in the 21st century.
                                      ^^^
Such things  were not there in  the 70s. I did  my Introductory
and Primary  Courses in 78-79. We  were totally unaware  of any
term called G-LOC.  I can at least confirm, that  I never heard
of this term then, or maybe,  our instructor in those days (Sqn
Ldr  Kuldip Rai)  did not  disclose  the "latest"  ! Very  very
unlikely. It is definitely not there in Gilles and Randell, the
only text books available to us in the late 70s.

> You don't give a month's sick leave to recuperate from a benign
> headache.  I  am  sure  the IAP's  recommendation  is  just  an
> oversight  & amendment  to  IAP section  6.10.9  (c) should  be
> coming sooner than later.

"Oversights" are  NOT accepted in  policy decisions.  It surely
needs to change. It would come only when the matter is taken up
... otherwise it would just be a matter of "let sleeping things
lie".

Just another header ...

Bish

--
:
Wg Cdr (Retd) US Mohalanobish         bish@xxxxxxxxxxx

To view the archive of messages on this list please visit:
//www.freelists.org/archives/indaemed/

To add/change/remove your addresses/names please write to
Anirudh Agrawal at : anirudh_a@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alternate List : IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage of this List at : http://www.AvMedNet.Net
ISAM Web Page at: http://www.ISAM-India.org