[impression-x] Re: suggestion for Print dialogue: current page only

  • From: Harriet Bazley <harriet.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: impression-x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 23:59:02 GMT

On 2 Feb 2015 as I do recall,
          Richard Porter  wrote:

> On 2 Feb 2015 Jim Nagel  wrote:
>
> > Impression's Print dialogue has always offered radio buttons to
> > "print all" or to "print from page X to page Y".  If you want to print
> > just page 5 (say), you fill in 5 for both X and Y.
>
> > Suggestion:  a third radio button for "print current page only".  That
> > would mean the page on which the caret now sits in the document, the
> > page you were on when you pressed the Print key.

Agreed.   (I think Easiwriter and !PDF also do this.)

> Good idea. I would do it slightly differently - just set the default
> range to current page to current page.

I'm not sure how useful that would be (save that it eliminates having the
separate button that all the other apps have).   When you do want to print a
real range of pages, editing both numbers away from the current page could
be a bit of a pain.
Also, Impression saves the last range used (so far as I recall), which is
handy when printing individual booklet sections.   Having this reset to the
current cursor page whenever you opened the print dialogue would be
annoying.

> To make it a bit smarter, if you enter a "From" number greater than
> the "To" number the "To" number would automatically be set to the same
> value, or if you enter a "To" number less than the "From" number the
> "From" number would be set the same.
>
> For consistency there ought to be up and down arrows for the page
> numbers, and shift-click should be up/down 10 (within the maximum
> range).

Bump icons for page numbers are more decorative than useful, in my
experience.  :-(
When I want to 'goto page 30', let alone page 307, I *don't* bump the
displayed number up by one digit at a time....

--
H. Bazley

Flee at once, all is discovered.