[IGDA LCPP] Re: Completing the TDD

  • From: "Jim Verhaeghe" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <igda_lcpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:12:38 -0000

Actually, the concept art shouldn't have anything to do with the TDD.  This
is where you all need to make decisions as to how you are going to handle
the art when it comes in.  In most cases, you have to wait for art while
programming.  If you waited until you got the resources you need, then you
may not get started until a few months into the project.  Use programmer art
when necessary in these cases, as you don't want to delay the progress.

As for the TDD, you need to try to anticipate how things are going to work,
and if there are restrictions that need to be placed on the artist, this is
the time to start letting them know before they get too far into creating
the art.  The code shouldn't care what the art looks like, but may need to
depend on the GDD (Game Design Document).  If there is a question as to what
a particular effect is, what an item does, how a character moves, etc. then
let Mickey know to add that detail into the GDD.  It is a cooperative effort
here.

I've decided not to start the timeline until these two documents are flushed
out, then we can start coding properly.  Ultimately we need a plan as to how
we are going to code the game, and the TDD is that plan.

Does this make sense?  If not I can try to describe it more, but the
exercise is for you all to learn how to do this part of the project.  Come
up with what you can, and I'll read it and give feedback.  Be as thorough as
possible, and as always as questions of each other.

Jim Verhaeghe
Contract Game Developer
jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx