[PCB_FORUM] Re: Ups/downs of board outline being an unfilled shape?

  • From: Michael.Catrambone@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:09:43 -0600

Hey Chris,

I always made the board outline as continuous Lines..  It really isn't that
difficult to do using the Chamfer and Fillet functionality to join the
lines to form
a closed polygon.   As you know any closed polygon can be Z-Copied to
create
planes and keepins for the board.  It is also very important to have a
close
polygon as the board outline because Valor will no understand the multiple
lines and simply draw a box around all the line segments to identify the
board outline.

My two cents.

Michael Catrambone
UTStarcom, Inc.

"vince fornier" <kerchunk
02/21/2005 01:51 PM

Please respond to icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:

To:    icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
Subject:    [PCB_FORUM] Ups/downs of board outline being an unfilled shape?

I seek the wisdom of the group:

Does anyone have their board outlines as unfilled shapes (with possible
voids), as opposed to a giant LINE object ( and possible internal LINE
objects)? I would think there'd be numerous advantages of having the
outline as a shape , mainly the impossibility of creating a non-closed or
discontinuous LINE.

What say ye?

Chris Walters
local Cadence guru