[PCB_FORUM] Re: Pro-E import of soldermask/solderpaste shapes.

  • From: Baumstark Michael-EMB043 <M.Baumstark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:17:49 -0400

Mitch:

It sounds like your particular interest is for Shields, perhaps developed in
MCAD (M=mechanical) first, then utilized in ECAD (Electrical). Have you
considered driving your Soldermask and Solderpaste shapes as a function of a
shield component? Let the MCAD component be the controlling component and
require the ECAD librarian to derive his shield component details, from the
MCAD imported data, matched orientation, etc. With a reference designator
assigned on the MCAD side and the proper linkages set up between
(MCAD-ECAD),(see algroidf), then you should have "correct by design" data in
Allegro, automatically done for you. The only pre-requisite is that you will
need to have your Allegro design packaged and netlisted before loading in the
updated (IDF file from MCAD). (It is not a far reach to instantiate a shield
symbol in the schematic either.) I am not 100% clear how the MCAD format and
the final ECAD format is for the Shapes you mentioned. At worst it should only
be an ent!
 ity issue, ie. curves may now be a polygon but they should look the same you
should not have to redraw anything. The greatest benefit is that you are also
rock-solidly engaged in an optimal (MCAD-ECAD)librarian process.

Look in C:\Cadence\PSD_15.1\doc\algroidf.pdf for the document that Andy
mentioned on another reply thread. You should have a local copy as well.

Sincerely yours,

Michael Baumstark

Staff PCB Designer - BSEE, CID+
Motorola - Advanced Product Technology Center