[PCB_FORUM] Re: Mentor to Allegro translation

  • From: Baumstark Michael-EMB043 <M.Baumstark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:11:40 -0400

Jim:

Cadence has been working systematically over the past two years to perfect the
turn-key solution to translate a Mentor BoardStation design (which also
includes schematic as well as the PCB).
It is a fairly mature tool at this time.  In addition to that there is
available a full library translation tool to translate MGC libraries to Cadence
based library parts, schematic symbols and geometries/footprints.
(The published documentation only officially supports translations as high as
EN2001, but that is probably just a documentation housekeeping issue because
EN2002 designs have been translated)

If you look back on an older thread (1-2 months ago), I replied to this same
subject matter, Check this out too if you still have a copy.

The two methods mentioned take on a different translation approach.
One piece of the translator is the mbs2brd.exe tranlsator, which Paul Gingras
mentioned is incorporated into the Specctraquest tool. It is also available as
a stand alone application but the most common usage, to date, has been the
usage of SQ for SI analysis on Boardstation PCB designs. (Understand that this
is only the physical part of the translation, ie. the PCB database (*.brd -
board, traces.trace, tech.tech, comp.comps, etc.))

So, If you wanted a fully translated Mentor BoardStation designed translated to
Cadence format, in fully functional synchronization , packaged and netlisted to
.brd and backannotate to Concept, you can get it. I do not know what the fees
are so please advise if you explore this issue further. But if you just want
the .brd file you can do it yourself today.

A prudent designer would still validate a translated design (if used for
production purposes) since the translation is still not quite perfect, but
fixable. The best known mechanism to date, would be an artwork comparison of
the two outputs using Valor and a stepped precision review.

Ask to speak with Mike Swienton of Cadence if you want to know exactly what you
need to do.  I know too but I have other work to do now,  but wanted to help
you start down the right path at least.

Sincerely yours,

Michael Baumstark

Staff PCB Designer - BSEE, CID+
Motorola - Advanced Product Technology Center