[PCB_FORUM] Re: FW: Re: panelization in Allegro PSD15.1

  • From: Dave Seymour <dave.seymour@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:55:49 -0400

An alternative:

On the fab drawing, have a note that says "Vendor to panelize as shown
in "Detail X"." Then draw how you would like pcb panelized.
Showing only the detail necessary for the correct orientation and overall
panel size, etc....  Don't show the copper/silkscreen/etc.

The board outline can be stepped and repeated in a pattern and changed to
a different layer for manipulation of break away tabs, external tooling holes
and whatever.

This gets around the problems of having multiple routed PCBs in the same database.

Hope this helps.

dave

Abel, Shannon K. wrote:

I have inquired to cadence about this issue. And have submitted request for them to look at incorporating this into their software.

We achieve panelization by exporting a IDF (PTC) file from allegro for use in PRO/Engineer. After importing this into Pro/Engineer We add the necessary webs and tabs etc. It is a fairly easy process.

After consulting with the fab house they prefer to have this information in the odb++ file that we send them, but unfortunately since allegro doesn't allow this they create their step and repeat in accordance with our drawing. We have developed a good relationship with our fab houses in order to determine the max panel size / board ratio etc.

Shannon K. Abel
PWB Designer/Detailer
Northrop Grumman / Marine Systems, PCS Division.
7301 Sykesville Road
Sykesville, MD. 21784

* 410.552.2818
* shannon.abel@xxxxxxx