Re: [icon-users] Overflowing footnotes

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:19:26 +0100

In message <4fd7ea048bjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <bad7e4d74f.Gwyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Gwyn Oakley <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think I discussed this with Martin a while ago and from memory there
>> is an obscure bug.

>> It is some while ago but I think I worked around the problem by changing
>> the font size to make the table a bit smaller.

>> An alternative I think is to force the table to split over two pages and
>> have the footnote ref on the second of these pages.

>> I guess the problem is something to do with not having enough space for
>> the footnote on the same page as the table and the footnate ferlowing
>> going wrong??

> That sounds like the solution to what I would call 'normal overflow', ie
> when there is space for a line (or table row) containing a footnote that
> won't fit.  But that doesn't apply in this case.  The reference point was
> way up in the page, and there was plenty of normal interruptible text at
> the bottom.

I have finally had a look at this problem and I have found out what
triggers it. First of all, please note that strictly speaking it is
not a fault for a footnote to appear on a later page as long as there
are other earlier footnotes already on the page. It is up to the
discretion of the program when it starts pushing footnotes to a later
page. However, as you noted, normally EW tries to place as many
footnotes as possible on the current page and only starts pushing them
to the next page if their reference points are too far down the page.

There is one other special case though, and this is what happens in
your document: Footnotes in *nested* tables are routinely pushed to
the next page. For some reason EW does not handle this case correctly.
There may well be technical reasons for this, such as not being able
to work out how much space there will be below the table.

So, the way to avoid this problem is to simply avoid adding footnotes
to text in nested tables, i.e., text in a table within a table. You
have one instance where you use a table with a single row and two
columns to hold two tables side by side. You can achieve the same
effect without nesting tables by creating a balanced two column
section.

Please note that it is tricky to actually "un-nest" a table in EW. As
soon as you select all the contents of the inner table and copy them,
they are always pasted as a nested table. This happens even if you
make sure that only the inner table is selected using the selection
field or menu. Also, there is no function to remove the outer
surrounding table. The best way to extract the inner table is to
select everything but its last row and copy and paste that.

Martin