Re: [icon-users] Lorem Ipsum Why? (Was: Quotes problem)

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:17:17 +0100

In message <4ff70ab736rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Russell Hafter - Lists <rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 31 Oct, Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> By the way: around that time I added a very nice Lorem
>>> ipsum generator to Xara Xtreme, which is actually
>>> exactly the one I had done for EasiWriter...

>> Lorem ipsum has been useful.

> I seemed to recall seeing something about this having been
> added recently.

> What on earth is it for?

It is one of the features I use most in EasiWriter, but then I am not
a normal user. It is invaluable for creating chunks of text to test
new features on.

> It just seems to enter chunks of a dead language!!!

Even worse, of a language that never existed. It is only similar to a
dead language. :-)

> Why would I want to do that????

In order to get an idea what a font or a style looks like on a chunk
of text that is optically similar to real text.

Also, if you need a paragraph in a stationery documents to which you
want to apply a style in order to indicate how the stationery was
intended to be used.

For instance, Xara Xtreme comes with a lot of document templates,
e.g., for web pages. They are just full of Lorem ipsum text. It is
much better as a placeholder than real text, which might be mistaken
for the real thing and left in the final document.

Martin