Re: [icon-users] Quotes problem

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Icon Users Group <icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:10:45 +0100

In message <4ff6e1fa44riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quotes at the beginning of a word are the same as those at the end.
> How do I get EasiWriter (V8.73) to recognise the correct quotes at the
> start of a word please? Smart quotes are set in Choices.

EasiWriter's "Smart quotes" feature works differently from that of
other applications and is not really smart at all. At the end of the
day, it is only a collection of shortcuts for entering sexed quotes.

I will probably add proper smart quotes at some stage - it is fairly
trivial and I have done it for Xara some time ago. By the way: around
that time I added a very nice Lorem ipsum generator to Xara Xtreme,
which is actually exactly the one I had done for EasiWriter...

Once that is done we will have the problem that the new feature should
really be called "Smart quotes", so we will have to find some other
name for the existing feature (e.g., "Sexed quotes shortcuts" though
this feature can be used to define shortcuts for all sorts of special
characters not just quotes - see Jim's tips "quote.html").

Martin