Re: [icon-users] Lorem Ipsum Why? (Was: Quotes problem)

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:24:34 +0100

In message <4ff77b58d9dhwild@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          David H Wild <dhwild@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> When you want to show someone, probably a customer, how a
>>> document will look without needing to have exact text.

>> If I were the customer, I would absolutely want to see the
>> thing with my real text in it. The most common question for
>> me is whether the text will fit into the space available.

> I hink that you are still missing the point slightly. You might want to
> show someone what your design of brochure, for instance, would look like -
> even before there is any real text to show.

Precisely. The point is that you might want to discuss the design with
someone and you will find it difficult to do that if you use real
text. One of the web sites that discuss lorem ipsum was set up by a
web designer after a website design meeting was a complete desaster
because he had put in some real example text and then showed the
design to managers and marketing people. Nobody discussed the design
at all, everyone was just discussing the contents no matter how many
times he pointed out that the text was immaterial and just an example.
I could not find the story any more, but for a more general
description, see for instance http://www.lipsum.com

Martin