[icon-users] Highlighting

  • From: Ewen Pring <Ewen_Pring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 23:15:09 GMT

Dear list,

I wonder if anyone else would like text highlighting as a feature in
EW, and also for highlights to be shown in imported Word documents.

Easiwriter doesn't allow the background colour to be set for selected
text, only a paragraph at a time (via the borders menu). This would be
useful for highlighting - typically with a yellow background.

The obvious place for such a facility to be added in Easiwriter is in
the 'type style' window, which already controls strikeout and
underline.

EW also does not & cannot differentiate yellow highlighted text from
an imported .docx document. For example the code in a sample unpacked
document.xml from Word contains this before the text concerned;
<w:highlight w:val="yellow"/>
The option to highlight in MS Word 97 is by a toolbar button called
'text highlight colour'. [further info: Selecting some affected text
in Word and examining the Font properties, there is no mention of
highlight colour, which is odd because the other similar things like
strikethrough, superscript etc do appear there. It can only be got to
using the highlight toolbar button. According to Word's helpfile, the
inbuilt find facility has an option to find the next highlighted text.
It doesn't appear to use styles.]

If it is not feasible to change EW to use highlighting natively, could
it at least translate highlighted text saved out from Word by making
it underlined or bold, or by displaying a different text foreground
colour for example? Then content would not be lost upon importing
files from others (we have a form we ask clients to fill in, and they
sometimes return their multiple choice selections as highlight text we
cannot see in EW).

Best regards to all

--
Ewen Pring, St. Albans, Herts