Re: [icon-users] Conversion to Kindle format

  • From: Simon Smith <simon_smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:12:13 GMT

In message <36360277-DC2A-4903-A546-5814143EDDF6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Bruce Harvey <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have experience of converting a techwriter book with equations
> and !draw images to the Kindle format for publishing on Amazon.
>
> Regards  Bruce
>
> Bruce Harvey
> bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> The Alternative Physics Site
> http://www.bearsoft.co.uk

Indirectly. When I was converting books to ebooks I used ePub as the master
format and then used Amazon's conversion tool to make the Kindle versions.
Epub consists of xhtml files inside a zip file, a couple of XML control
files, and then the zip file renamed to epub. If you can write or generate
HTML and/or CSS and cut about a bit of mostly boiler-plate XML then you can
write ebooks. So the route I'd use would be to save as HTML, clean up the
HTML accordingly, save that as epub and convert to Kindle. A bit meta, but
I'm writing a book on writing ebooks and I'd be interested in an
equation-heavy book for use as examples. Would you be willing to send me an
extract? If so, thanks, and in exchange I'd be glad to go into more detail
offlist if you want more information.

--
Simon Smith     |       Once more unto now