[icon-discuss] Bookshare on the Icon

  • From: "John Esak" <john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "icond" <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:54:32 -0400

Hi,

I've been a member of Bookshare.org for about 5 years and read dozens and
dozens of books from their site. However, I do it a completely stupid way...
just learned this way from someone and never changed. I choose to convert
the book to HTML and then I go through the downloaded book in some editor,
usually Word and delete all the garbage like page numbers and chapter and
page headings, etc.

I was so thrilled to see how easy the Icon retrieves books from Bookshare
and was really excited to listen for the first time to them in Daisy format.
Much to my dismay, there is still all that junk in them. The page number is
read about every minute, and the page headings etc., etc. Does everybody
using Daisy books from Bookshare just put up with all this detritis?  It is
so distracting and takes so much away from the book itself because it adds
so much garbage.

Please... please tell me I'm doing it a completely stupid and uninformed way
and there is some simple little thing I'm doing  or not doing that will make
the page numbers and such either go away or never be there in the first
place.  This dragging the book through to HTMNL and then globally removing
as much stuff as I can manually is so much of a drag that it makes it almost
completely counter productive to read books from Bookshare.

I would have thought a Daisy book would not have this stuff in it. Am I just
hopig for too much?

And please, no matter what... even if it's true... don't tell me that the
new NLS books will be this way, too. I'll jump off a cliff.

John