[ibis-macro] Re: [ibis-interconn] We need to define terms System, Component, Connected, Connection, Module, .ibs Package and Die, .ibs Bare Die

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Gregory R Edlund'" <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 06:40:44 -0500 (EST)

Greg,

Yes, you do understand correctly!

Walter

From: Gregory R Edlund [mailto:gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:53 PM
To: Walter Katz
Cc: IBIS-Interconnect; IBIS-ATM
Subject: Re: [ibis-interconn] We need to define terms System, Component,
Connected, Connection, Module, .ibs Package and Die, .ibs Bare Die

Walter,

You said:

EMD = One proposed solution that describes Interconnect Subckts between the
Module Pins and/or Module Components Pins IBIS Component.

Do I understand correctly that we could conceivably use EMD to describe all
kinds of interconnect between two die pads, e.g. cables, PCBs, backplane
connectors, or any other passive component that we can model using ISS?

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

Inactive hide details for "Walter Katz" ---02/08/2013 10:01:10
AM---All,"Walter Katz" ---02/08/2013 10:01:10 AM---All,

From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "IBIS-Interconnect"
<ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02/08/2013 10:01 AM
Connected, Connection, Module, .ibs Package and Die, .ibs Bare Die
Sent by: ibis-interconn-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

All,

There has been two much confusion on what EMD is and a comprehensive .ibs
package and on-die interconnect solutions, so I propose the following
definitions to clarify future discussions.

System

A system consists of multiple components that have electrical connections
between them.

Component

A basic building block of a System. A component can be a backplane, PCB,
Connector, Cable, DIMM component, Multi Chip Module, Interposer, package, a
packaged die, a bare die, and other things that have not been invented yet.

Connection

Two electrical nodes in a system are connected if the Insertion Loss between
the two points at Nyquist is “Small”.

Connection

A connections consists of a list of electrical nodes that are all connected
to each other.

Module

A Module is a Component that has Pins that connect to other system
components, and contains Components and Connections between these
Components, and between these Components and the Module’s Pins.

EMD

One proposed solution that describes Interconnect Subckts between the Module
Pins and/or Module Components Pins

IBIS Component

Represented by a .ibs file, contains one, and only one die, [Models],
package interconnect between the [Component] [Pins] and Die Pads, on-die
interconnect between the die pads and the [Model].

Bare Die IBIS Component

A special case IBIS Component that represents a physical Die that is mounted
directly in a Module. An example of this is a multi-chip module (MCM) that
contains two are more die that are mounted and wire bonded directly on the
MCM surface. The [Pin] and on-die pad are at the same location, and the
Package model should be treated as a zero ohm resistor.

Interconnect Subckt

An IBIS-ISS subckt or a Touchstone File that has ports that as described
below. The ports may or may not be connected to all of the other ports.

Module

Pins
Component Pins

IBIS Package

Pins
Die Pads

On-Die Interconnect

Die Pads
[Model] ports

Note that a Module (and therefore EMD) never has connections to [Model]!!!

wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone 303.449-2308
Mobile 303.335-6156

GIF image