[ibis-macro] Re: Samples per bit for AMI

  • From: ckumar <ckumar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:14:38 -0700

That is like going backwards. The samples per bit is a model's
responsibility and internal to the model (for example adc and its own
internal simple or complex 'torque converter' ). I do not see a reason to
encourage and perpetuate a wrong practice

should not be suppored by a future reserved parameter.
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:08:20 -0400 (EDT), "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Greg,
>

> If an AMI model does have a Sample_Per_Bit requirement, then the EDA
tool
> must do one of the following:
>
> 1.       Choose a samples per bit that satisfies all of the Tx and Rx
> samples per bit requirements - not always possible when different models
> have different samples per bit requirements.
>
> 2.       Choose a samples per bit for a simulation, and then run the
> impulse response and waveforms through a Torque Converter (Gearbox) that
> converts these waveforms to the model's required Samples_Per_Bit before
> calling the model, and then run the output of the model back to the
Torque
> Converter backwards.
>

> In the ideal world, if the internals of the model do have a
> Samples_Per_Bit limitation, the model should be doing the Torque
> Conversions described above.
>

> According to IBIS 5.0 (and the proposed 5.1), a model which does have a
> Samples Per Bit limitation is non-compliant. If we add a reserved
> parameter Samples_Per_Bit in IBIS 5.2, then these models can be made
> compliant to 5.2 if they specify Samples_Per_Bit in the .ami file.
>

> Ken Willis made in a separate e-mail branch:
>

> Good discussion. I agree it is good practice to document the model
usage.
> If the issue is really one of documentation, then I don't know if it is
> something we have to put into the standard. Most of the IBIS-AMI model
> kits have some readme or pdf documentation with them. This is not really
> different than regular Spice or IBIS models that have been distributed
for
> many years. With AMI, you can even put comments into the .ami files
> themselves. So there are ways to properly document the models, without
> adding more keywords to the spec.
>

> Unfortunately, model makers often do not document the Samples Per Bit
> limitation, and in some cases do not realize they have a Samples Per Bit
> limitation because they only test them at one Samples Per Bit. Also, it
is
> difficult for software to programmatically read these .pdf files and
> extract Samples Per Bit limitations.
>

> We certainly can add a compliance test to IBIS-AMI that would use the
AMI