[ibis-macro] Re: Samples per bit for AMI

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ambrish Varma <ambrishv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:40:03 -0400

I might suggest that we add a section to the specification on Requirement for Documentation of Non-Fully Compliant Models

Requirement for Documentation of Non-Fully Compliant Models - If a model is not fully compliant with the IBIS-AMI specification, all model limitations must be fully documented within comment lines within the AMI file.

This way the limitations are recognized as not fully compliant with the specification, but are documented in a place that will always be included in the model tree. Limitations on samples per bit can be easily documented here.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

On 9/29/2011 2:01 PM, Ambrish Varma wrote:
I agree with Kumar and Scott,
The moment we add something like 'Samples per Bit' in the spec and legitimize
models that only work at 1 particular number, I suspect model makers will start
producing models based on that.

Here is some suggested text that could go in the new BIRD:

On page 186 in Section 10 after the lines:

| 3.1.2.4 sample_interval
|
| This is the sampling interval of the impulse_matrix. Sample_interval is
| usually a fraction of the highest data rate (lowest bit_time) of the
| device.  Example:
|
|   Sample_interval = (lowest_bit_time/64)

Add the following text:

| The fraction (64 in the above example) is a number that is decided by
| the EDA tool based on the rise time of the analog drivers, simulation
| speed,  or other factors. The AMI model must be able to produce valid     |
results at any sample_interval.

Please add/amend anything to make it more meaningful - or even suggest
something to add at some other place to make it absolutely clear to the AMI
model maker what to expect.

Thanks,
Ambrish.

Ambrish Varma   |  Member of Consulting Staff
P: 978.262.6431   www.cadence.com