[ibis-macro] Re: Samples per bit for AMI

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:48:29 +0000

Kumar, Scott,

So what do you do if a user of your favorite EDA platform
gets stuck because they have a model that only works at
one and only one sampling rate, but the customer has no
idea what that is, and as a result they get trash instead
an eye and think that the EDA tool has a bug in it?  First,
having had several such customer requests, I am getting
tired of keep debugging our tool, just to find out that
it is the model that is bad.  But are you suggesting that
we should tell that customer (user) to delay their product
delivery because they have to wait for the model maker to
rewrite their model first?

While I agree that theoretically a model should behave as
the real chip does, and I do not want to encourage bad
modeling / programming practices, making models like that
may not always make sense or be feasible.  When I took a
Verilog-AMS modeling class from Ron Vogelsong (Cadence at
that time), he told the class that you should model only
what you need, not what you can (referring to the practically
unlimited capabilities of Verilog-AMS).  I think he had a
point in that.

On the other hand, a reserved parameter to document what the
model's capabilities are should not be viewed as encouraging
bad modeling practices.  To the contrary, this is encouraging
good documentation practices!!!  Even with this parameter in
place, the model maker can still make models which treat the
waveform as a continuous waveform.  They just have to document
what they did with a corresponding 0 to infinite Range in the
Samples_per_Bit reserved parameter.  If you think using Integer
for Samples_per_Bit is not sufficient, we can change my BIRD
draft so that float values are also allowed...

The point here is that you can't enforce good modeling practices
with our specification or parser utility, but you can enforce good
documentation practices...

Sincerely,