[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 13 Mar 2012 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:38:58 -0400

Minutes from the 13 Mar 2012 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Also the presentation "GetWave_Exists Definition" is posted in the
Work Archive area at http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/macromodel_wip

Meeting date: 13 March 2012

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                    * Fangyi Rao
                            * Radek Biernacki
Altera:                     * David Banas
Ansys:                        Samuel Mertens
                            * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
Arrow Electronics:            Ian Dodd
Cadence Design Systems:       Terry Jernberg
                            * Ambrish Varma
                            * Feras Al-Hawari
Celsionix:                    Kellee Crisafulli
Cisco Systems:                Ashwin Vasudevan
                              Syed Huq
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM:                        * Greg Edlund
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
LSI Logic:                    Wenyi Jin
Maxim Integrated Products:    Mahbubul Bari
Mentor Graphics:              John Angulo
                              Zhen Mu
                            * Arpad Muranyi
                              Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology:            Randy Wolff
NetLogic Microsystems:        Ryan Couts
Nokia-Siemens Networks:       Eckhard Lenski
QLogic Corp.                * James Zhou
Sigrity:                      Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                              Ken Willis
SiSoft:                       Walter Katz
                              Todd Westerhoff
                              Doug Burns
                            * Mike LaBonte
Snowbush IP:                  Marcus Van Ierssel
ST Micro:                     Syed Sadeghi
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross
TI:                           Casey Morrison
                              Alfred Chong
Vitesse Semiconductor:        Eric Sweetman
Xilinx:                       Mustansir Fanaswalla

The meeting was lead by Arpad Muranyi

-

- None

- Arpad to write a new revision of BIRD 117 and 118 to generalize references
  to parameters in files (.ami or any)
  - in progress

- Ambrish update BIRD 145 for pad to pin mapping and other clarifications
  - Need to say what it will not solve
  - in progress

Arpad showed GetWave_Exists Definition (BIRD 120)
- Slide 2:
  - Arpad: False GetWave_Exists=False has been used as a debugging tool.
    - This is not needed because we can see what functions are in the DLL
    - Some like to use it to avoid calling a prsenet but empty AMI_GetWave()
    - The tool might try to run a non-existent function
  - David: That is a model maker error
  - Fangyi: Even if it is present we don't know if AMI_GetWave() does the right
thing
  - Arpad: The meaning of "implemented" is important
- Slide 3:
  - Arpad: We should find better wording with minimal change
- Slide 4:
  - Arpad: Should we allow GetWave_Exists to be used as a control?
    - Should it be renamed?
    - Should it be deprecated?
- Slide 5:
  - Arpad: Proposal: change "is implemented" to "function has useful code"
    - This reinforces that GetWave must exist if Init_Returns_Impulse=False
  - David: If Init doesn't return an Impulse response then GetWave must exist
  - Fangyi: GetWave does not return an impulse response
- Slide 6:
  - Arpad: Another approach is to rename it to Use_AMI_GetWave_Function
- Slide 7:
  - Arpad: Alternatively we can say to call the function if it exists and
GetWave_Exists=True
- Radek: We can define what implemented means and then use it everywhere else
  - The slide 7 proposal should be good
  - The parameter would have to be Input, not Info, to be a control
- Fangyi: This parameter controls the simulation flow
  - It does not say what is in the DLL
  - The red items on slide 7 should be removed

- Arpad opened the IBIS 5.1 draft and searched for GetWave_exists
- Arpad: On page 193 the definition says "is implemented in the model"
- Fangyi: That should be modified
- Ambrish: We should provide a true picture of what the DLL contains
- Fangyi: It is easy to detect if the DLL has it
- Ambrish: That doesn't mean it works as expected
- Arpad: Both good points
  - The question is whether to execute it
  - If it is seen as a flow control the user information is the same
- Radek: We could change the parameter to Input
- Ambrish: It is too late for that
- Fangyi: Tools also can warn if GetWave_Exists=False but the function is there
- Bob: It matters more if Init_Returns_Impulse=False
  - We should keep the change simple
- Ambrish: It should be obvious that it is a flow control parameter
- Bob: "Implemented" is the wrong word
  - We have to say if it is to be *used*
- Fangyi: GetWave_Exists and Init_Returns_Impulse can be ignored anyway
  - In practice the functions are simply called if present
- James: BIRD 120 tells when to not use GetWave to avoid double counting
  - This is even when GetWave really exists
- Bob: There could be a problem if GetWave_Exists or Init_Returns_Impulse is
absent
- Arpad: They are both required

- Arpad changed the wording of slide 5 to reflect our consensus
- There were no objections

AR: Mike post GetWave_Exists presentation to work archive

AR: Arpad send suggested GetWave_Exists wording changes to 5.1 editorial group

Next meeting: 20 Mar 2012 12:00pm PT

Next agenda:
1) Task list item discussions

IBIS Interconnect SPICE Wish List: