[ibis-macro] Re: Question on dividing up the Tx behavior between the AMI and analog portions of the model

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'IBIS-ATM' <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:02:02 +0000

James,

Regarding:

"please clarify what is actually driving  the input terminals of Tx analog
block (which is the first stage of the entire analog channel, represented by
hAC(t))",

there are several different ways to generate hAC(t), but one way to
do it is to run a time domain simulation using a step function and
take the derivative of the resulting waveform at the Rx.  In order
to do this, the EDA tool would give a stimulus to the Tx analog model
corresponding to a rising or falling step function, such as a digital
'0' and '1'  or  '1' and '0' to get a rising or falling step waveform.

How this is implemented is entirely up to the EDA vendor, that's why
the IBIS specification doesn't give you these details.  But the point
is that this stimulus has nothing to do with x(t) which is what goes
into AMI_GetWave during an AMI simulation.

Regarding:

"(a)  Instead of  "driving the channel topology by the Tx I-V, [Ramp], or V-t
based analog model", the "digital stimulus" actually drives the Tx AMI input.
The Tx AMI output should drive these analog models, if such practices are
allowed by the Specification. It neither makes sense to me (to drive a legacy
IBIS model with x(t) or Tx AMI output) nor specified by IBIS 5.0 or BIRDs that
this is permissible and doable."

Which digital stimulus are you talking about in "the "digital stimulus"
actually drives the Tx AMI input"?
There are two digital stimuli.  One that is used to stimulate the
analog Tx model to generate the impulse response (hAC(t)) for the
channel, and another one that is the input to the Tx AMI_GetWave
function during the AMI simulation.

Why do you say "The Tx AMI output should drive these analog models"?  I don't
see that in the AMI flow diagram.  Even though you might want to do
that in your approach, this is not what the IBIS AMI flow suggests.

Regarding: "since the "digital stimulus" x(t) is in fact amplitude continuous,
if it is used to drive the D_to_A in Tx",
this statement is not correct.  x(t) is not used to drive the D_to_A
(or the input) of the Tx analog model.  It is used as the input to the
Tx GetWave function.

I hope this helps.