[ibis-editorial] Re: IBIS-AMI - Unifying the terminology

  • From: "Bob Ross" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 21:50:40 -0700

Arpad:

I think we are in agreement.   In Section 10, leaf is used only to describe
parameters
whereas in Section 10A, "leaves" describe the reserved words that
are needed to convert a "branch" into a parameter.  The Section 10
application of "leaf" for the BNF is clear and should be retained.

To avoid confusion, I would prefer not using "leaf" in Section 10A as
applied to
the .ami file.  You are correct that for a branch to become an AMI
parameter for the parameter definition (.ami) file, there must
exist several "leaves".   However  Format <data_format> has
a special case syntactical variation when the <data_format> "leaf"
is Table.  Unlike the other "leaves", its arguments are bounded
by one or more rows of (..... ) lines.   Furthermore the first row can begin
with an optional leaf called Labels.

Therefore we have a Labels "leaf" among the row(s) of data that is
scoped by the Table "leaf" - a contradictory and confusing
situation if we try to apply the leaf terminology within Section 10A,
and in contrast to using leaf in Section 10.

Rather than get bogged down with such distinctions,
I would just minimize or eliminate the leaf terminology
entirely for section 10A and just use reserved words or
some other agreed upon terminology.  That way we do
not collide with and become confused with the Section 10 leaf
terminology as applied to the BNF rules for EDA platform to/from
the executable model (parameter_name value_list) transfers.

Bob