[ibis-editorial] Re: IBIS-AMI - Unifying the terminology

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ibis-editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:55:13 +0000

Bob,

Nice list.

I want to comment on the BNF, because this came up in an
internal discussion here at Mentor.  The definition of
leaf is very confusing if not dead wrong:

     <leaf>:
       ( <parameter name> whitespace <value list> )

Here the <parameter name> does not refer to an AMI parameter
at all when we are talking about the content of an .ami file.
A parameter name in the .ami file is usually a branch name.
Leaves in the .ami file begin with a reserved word, as you
noted later:

All leaves of the .ami file must begin with one of the following reserved words:

Type
Usage
Description
<data_format> or Format <data_format>

The previous definition, however, might be true for a parameter string
that is passed into the DLL, after the EDA tool processed the content
of the .ami file.

So I think we have two contexts here, one for the .ami file and the
second for the parameter string that is passed into the DLL.  We will
probably need to deal with these in two separate sections in the spec.

Thanks,

Arpad