[ian-reeds-games] Re: some questions regarding map creation

  • From: "Carlos Macintosh" <sleepio1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 16:25:40 -0500

Well, when I build my map pack, I usually start with the main character,
because most of my maps center around a single character doing something, or a
leader of a team. I give him the basic move and attack skills, and probably a
healing skill. That reminds me, if you play tomb robber, Fred’s eat food skill
will allow him to heal up. You don’t need to eat food every round, because he
has plenty of heal. He can go 50 turns without food as long as he isn’t
attacked, but eating the food heals him up, which works well against the
guardian. After the primary unit, or the beginning of him, is made, I assign
him some flags, and usually that introduces points into the mix, so I make
those. Then I make damage types because attacks always cause damage of some
kind. Then, I make terrains, and usually I put in sounds for terrains as I make
them. After all of this prep work, I open up the game, and load up map editor,
where I start drawing my map. It works well enough, and as Alan mentioned, the
error handling works extremely well ... except for when it doesn’t and the game
crashes.