[ian-reeds-games] Re: Your top 3 most wanted features

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 03:53:36 -0500

Looking thru that list, I am very impressed! You really must have little
programming elves that run around in your north pole workshop at the north
pole! Your like Santa Coder, grin. Delivering wonderful updates to all the
little map creator girls and boys...
Yeah,it's late, grin. At least for me.

Ok, so here is my list, more or less. They aren't simple I don't think.

1. Dice rolling. The more I think about what carlos wrote to you about dice,
and the various bell curves, I am convinced that adding in dice rolling based
on the dice normally available   for these genre of game is going to be needed
at some point. Of course, remembering Austen, it shouldn't be mandatory so that
it can be used one way or the other, with or without. Heck, that is problem a
1d20 bunch of things right there, grin.

2. I wouldn't mind seeing summon become an effect. Also an unsummon as an
effect and skill. I figure those are all together in one niche. Summon as an
effect could be an at_zero=shapechange wherethe effect causes the original unit
to unsummon and then to summon in it's place a werewolf, or something like
that. Unsummon could be used to land shuttles starships, could remove a
summoned creature by another wizard, could recall a platoon fromt he jungles,
having it unsummon fromt he ground, summoned in to the copter...I hope that all
makes sense.

3. I would love to see a "charm" ability. Being able to make a enemy unit into
an ai_controlled critter. Or even a team switch where it can be controlled for
a short time. I know jedi have the mind trick, wizards with charm,
hypnosis...imaginean evil wizard casting charm on a player unit! Now that would
be worth the price of admission, grin.

Ok, that is it. I got a zillion others, and I agree with some other stuff
everyone else has, they are all great stuff, really.

As for the flying over pits thing.
The only thing I can think of is a       flag to tell the terrain that it only
affects non flying critters. so if it is a pit, then a non_hurt_my_flying_dude
flag would make it safe, but a default would keep it so that , let's say the
cloud of poisonous gas would still ahve  an effect on flying units. What do you
think? Is it harder   then it sounds? grin.

Thanks Ian for all you do. This kind of feedback from a game creator is
priceless.