[ian-reeds-games] some unfinished maps for perusal and critique

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@freelist" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 03:31:58 -0500

Hi gang,
I want to put two links up for two diffrent map packs.
These are not done, some info and other things are wrong, but they are both at
a level which is able to play thru some of it, more or less.

Starship battles basic is a cross an old wargame which involves star trek
iconic ships.
The first six levels are pretty solid in that I don't forsee changing them
overly too much more. The rest is subject to total revamping depending...

The link for that is:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68028683/starship%20battles%20Basic.zip

Ian, you can stick it up ont he website if you wish. It is a work in progress
though and I am constantly updating.

Anyway, the second map is called Kobold Dungeon.
It is a fantasy theme, essentially you got six characters ready to smite the
evil kobolds where they live.
It is only one map, using everything of the new technology Ian introduced
recently with the fog of war, and this showcases it pretty well.

There is lots of problems, and some of it I still am tinkering with and trying
to work skillsa nd effects in weird ways, but essentially it is more or less
there. Balance is out the window I think.

A note on the Kobold map. The warrior, Ranger and Rogue all have some cool
geewhiz stuff.
the warrior has the draw and sheathe skill for his longsword. When it is
sheathed, he only does a punch attack, but equipped you can hit "A" and use it
for the sword damage instead.
The ranger has a ranged and a melee weapon. Only one can be drawn at any one
time. If he pulls out the bow, he  cannot use the shortsword. He has to sheathe
the bow and then unsheathe the shortsword to use it. , same as the rogue with
dagger and throwing knives.

This is a pretty interesting feature. Drawing and sheathing is free so it isn't
like a big deal, although that might change int he future.
The cleric, wizard and barbarian do not deal with that, mostly because I didn't
have any sounds that would seem like drawing an axe, a mace or a staff.

I tried to make sure all the info ont he skills are  hot keyed and labeled.

A note for Ian. If you check it out, when you have time, the first encounter
with kobolds is strange. Rush one of the player units right up to the kobolds
waiting just inside the cave and let the turn go. Only one of the kobolds will
attack, out of half a dozen. No moveing, no attacking, nothing. It is weird.

Right after that is a pit with kobolds around it shooting arrows,a nd they all
seem fine, but up close it is like they don't do anything.

Anyway, the link is :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68028683/Kobold%20Dungeon.zip

Yes, I wouldn't mind it being put up on the map page as well, in hopes people
will give feedback or give me help in figuring out things.