[ian-reeds-games] Re: Question about a change back effect on multiple units

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:46:27 -0600

Hi Michael,

Off hand this looks like a fair bit of work because you'd need to make a dragonfly. form for each druid type so that it can have the correct change back skill. Perhaps Craig is willing to write a script that would remember the last change and revert back to whatever it was.

If you do end up going the route of making multiple dragon fly forms and multiple change back skills let me say that I'm hoping to roll out a new text file format soon. The new format supports setting a friendly_name flag on almost every object so that the player sees it called something other than the name of the unit file. That way you could have 4 dragonfly forms with different names that all show up as Dragonfly in the game.
And the same with the change back skills.
The new file format also supports an inherits flag which Zak recommended ages ago, though he called it the is_a flag from SoundRTS. Basically it means you could define a dragonfly base unit and set all the flags on it. Then you could define the 4 specific dragon fly forms, have them inherit all the flags from the base form, and only add the flags that are unique to them such as their skills and friendly name.

After saying all that, you're best bet is probably to ask Craig really nicely about a script to revert back to the previous form.

Ian Reed

On 8/25/2013 10:30 AM, michael Tholl wrote:
Hi guys,
While finally making some progress on my map pack I ran into an issue
that my brain is either currently too lazy to work out, or I truly
can't figure out. I'm not sure which.
Here's the issue, hopefully not too long winded.

First, I'm working off the example in Kobold Dungeon where the wizard
can change into a wolf and back into a wizard.
This makes my initial transforms easy enough, however, I have multiple
units that I'm wanting to do this for.
The issue comes in the change back skill/effect.
I have four units, basically upgrades of a single unit that need to
have access to this form and they need to be able to change back, but
they need to change back into whatever they were before the change.
So, with a druid acolyte, she changes into a dragonfly.
I can make change back work here just fine, the problem is,
I have a druid priestess and a druid high priestess and a druid adept
who also need access to this form, but need to be able to change back
to their respective forms.
My only solution so far is to make several different change back
skills/effects, but I'm worried this could be confusing to the player.
Is there any other way to handle this problem?
Whatever the answer is, there are 3 other forms that will follow this
pattern, and only one can work with the change back skill and effect
that Allan made for Kobold Dungeon as the lower level units won't have
access to it.
As I finish writing this I begin to think that is my only option..
several change back skills, but if anyone knows an easier/better way
I'm all ears, which makes typing hard, earlobes don't work nearly so
well as fingers. grins