[ian-reeds-games] Re: No_line_of_sight or something similar for effects?

  • From: "Craig Brett" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "craigbrett17@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 19:44:52 +0100

Right. Well, I really don't get this...

You want an effect on a caster that lets them see some remote tile regardless of sight range?

On 13/05/2015 00:26, Monkey wrote:

From my understanding of what was said, the suggestion was for the
affect to be placed on the caster and ignore things that are blocking
their sight, not for the affect to be placed on the tile...

On 5/12/15, Craig Brett <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You could achieve this by summoning a unit (of limited to no ability
other than sight) onto the target tile. Just call it vision or something
and have it die after 1 turn and it will already do what you intend.

Having sight ranges for tiles isn't something that's trivial. After all,
who "owns" a tile? Who does it provide its sight to? The AI needs sight
too, you know.

On 12/05/2015 06:45, Monkey wrote:
Yes, that makes sense.

On 5/11/15, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It will indeed, though you'll only be able to use it when playing as
that
character and then you have to wait for it to recharge. Even in the
adventure game, I want it to last for a little while at a time, though.
:)

Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 20:51:46 -0600
Subject: [ian-reeds-games] Re: No_line_of_sight or something similar
for
effects?
From: murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx
To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Being able to see otherwise hidden enemies or enchantments or what
have you would be interesting.

Personally I think it's possible, but we'll have to wait for Craig or
Ian to get back to you to know for sure.

On 5/11/15, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well then, that flag's not as game-breaking as I thought it would be.

Still, I'm not after attacking something I can't see, just being able
see
through terrain that wouldn't normally allow it. This skill can be
used
only
once every seven rounds, although the effect lasts for three of those
rounds, and I want it to work kind of like x-ray vision mixed with
farsight.
I could get more elaborate with it in the official game, like making
it
so
you can see otherwise hidden items/enemies, or the true forms of
magically
disguised/enchanted people, but that's for the game, not TB.

So, is it possible?

Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 20:26:30 -0600
for
effects?
From: murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx
To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Problem with no_line_of_sight, if none of your units can see through
the terrain or whatever that's blocking the sight of the skill-user,
then they can't use a skill on units on the other side of it. Which
is
annoying, because when you're flipping through possible targets with
the P and shift plus P the AI says there's a target there, but yet it
won't let you use the skill at that spot.

On 5/11/15, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I've created a skill that increases the sight range for one of my
units
by 4
for three rounds, but although I put a "no_line_of_sight" flag on
the
skill,
terrain that blocks sight still impedes it. I realised later that
this
flag
only meant you could potentially blast someone x number of spaces
away,
through a wall. (Sounds interesting.) Most people just use it on
teleportation skills though.

Could it be possible for a similar flag to be created for effects?
Like
how
there's a "not_effect_flying" flag for terrain so that if you can
fly
over
it, you can see over it, except it's for an effect on the caster and
even
the "non_flyable" flag has no impact on it?

--
-Mew

--
-Mew