[ian-reeds-games] Re: Add/Remove_skills flags

  • From: Monkey <murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 18:58:43 -0600

Just a thought... Could you have the skill apply an effect to the
unit, and in that effect have Victorious's effects_on_fizzle script
flag? Give the first effect a duration of 0, then thesecond effect can
add the revert skill. Maybe that'll be applied after the unit has been
transformed, but I'm not sure. It all depends on the order of things,
and I'm not fully certain on how everything fits yet.

On 9/5/15, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That was what I thought as well, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't
know if a transformation effect would work well either and in any case, that
would mean making an effect for every. Single. Blessed. Form.

My aim was to make it so I could have changers turn themselves into eagles
(just as an example) and be able to turn back, but also have bad guys be
able to curse someone into the form of an eagle without them having the
ability to change themselves back, and that without having to make two
separate units to serve as targets for different skills. I have one-hundred
and ninety-six units currently, and I haven't even made everything I'll need
yet! I have to create dryads and moonfolk and named mages with specific
skill sets I don't want randomised, and duplicate animal units would just
clutter things up.

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 13:39:10 -0600
Subject: [ian-reeds-games] Re: Add/Remove_skills flags
From: murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx
To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wouldn't add/remove skills work in this case though, if they're being
added by the same effect that's doing the transformation? Or no,
because they're added before the transformation is done?

On 9/5/15, Craig Brett <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Transformation works by removing a unit from the map, and replacing it
with the new unit, then carrying over any point changes, items,
effects,
etc.

The reason your add/remove skills won't work in this scenario is that
the unit you're adding/removing skills to is then being replaced by a
new unit.

What type of skill are you trying to move onto the new unit? Is it a
skill to turn it back into its original unit? You could use the
revert_transform flag here, I think.

On 04/09/2015 12:47, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
Tried adding an effect that added the skill. It didn't work. Tried
"add_random_skills" in the script flags. That didn't work either. I'm
giving up on this venture for the moment—I can at least make friendly
types the same.

From: sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 15:18:50 +0930

The transformation itself wasn't done via an effect, but I will try
and create one specifically to add this skill to the unit. :)

Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 18:53:45 -0600
From: murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx
To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree, the effect occurs after the skill has been performed...so
if
your transformation is done via an effect, then that's why.

On 9/3/15, Allan Thompson <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Perhaps try putting the add/remove skills on an effect? I think
the effect
tends to happen after the skill stuff is handled. If that is true
then the
skills should appear on the new unit. Sorry, that is the best I
can come up
with.

al