[huskerlug] Linux distros/updates/?

  • From: Patrick <pberry26@xxxxxxxxx>UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:02:01 -0800 (PST)

I run several (let's say; dozens!) of computers of
Intel, AMD, VIA, chipsets, so far (no PPC, SPARC's).

I just installed Red Hat 8.0 on a Duron 1300 on a FIC
AZ11E board(maxed out for speed on the kt133 chipset).
(All cold turkey, new equipment!)
It runs great.

Went over to wife's system, Athlon 1404 on a Chaintech
7AJA2 board (clocked to 102/38mhz) and wiped off the
last half of the first drive, of Red Hat 7.3, to
install 8.0. (temporary dual boot with Millennium, by
that convicted FELON, while the graphic
artist/designer wife acclimates and compares - Her
government contractor is switching over to the more
secure and stable Linux for designing military weapons
aerial platforms).

CRASH, no GRUB! Grub problem in stage 2.
worked to fix it, meanwhile booted with floppy I made
(ALWAYS MAKE THE FLOPPY!) and, no video (GUI!) so it
is running in text mode.

Hate when that happens!  Back to the Red Hat 7.3.
I have too many systems of all vintages and
architectures, plus, too many distributions of Linux
here, to try to force any distro on any hardware...

Yes, I did the media test of the CD's...they passed.

I have found that some distros are jsut optimized for
some hardware, and it is easy for me to pick through
Linux distros until I find one that works and then
just
to live with that!  As long as we can update to the
latest packages, over broadband cable...

My motto: Be Prepared! bring at least 5 Linux distros
to any computer!  Recommend that you try Knoppix CD
v3.1.  It runs from the CD (uses Ramdisc, so have >96
MB available in your system!) and does not mess with
the hard drives, unless you make it so!

=====
Patrick
Linux User #65411 http://counter.li.org