[huskerlug] Knoppix 4.0.2 --> 5.1.1 ?

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:22:42 -0600

        I may have had a fortuitous accident? I rarely have those, but I used
my 4.0.2
persistent file to install 5.1.1 to a hard-drive.  It fiddled around quite a
bit, but it did install!  So far it looks like I kept my old programs on a new
system.  However, I lost my wallpaper, my clock was using a different time zone,
I have the right time, though I'm not sure the zone is correct yet or not, and I
have firefox instead of Iceweasel.  Anyway, I see  Knoppix/Debian is trying to
make a stab at being able to upgrade between versions.  Now this is a very
worthy goal.
        Speaking of stab, I see that the default file system is Reiser for
Knoppix to
install to a hard-drive while for the latest Suse it is ext3. Anyway,  a
tentative pleasant surprise, I see the upgrade also kept my old sources.list
which I'm going to have change.  ---Jim