[huskerlug] Re: Interesting talk at Google by a kernel guy, Greg Kroah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2SED6sewRw

  • From: Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 09:13:23 -0600

Good presentation.  The rate of change is amazing.

I believe Linux passed NetBSD awhile go.  Most of the "bloat" in Linux is due
to the drivers.  That's not really bloat, it's just required to support all
of the hardware devices that it does.  You can still compile a minimal kernel
without all of the unneeded drivers and have a fully functional machine.

Steve