[hllug] Re: digiKam

  • From: paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:25:43 -0600

Don Crowder said the following on 12/14/2007 2:33 PM:

<snip>

I've got my new XP machine tweaked, tuned and ready to use but I've only bothered to turn it on a few times, usually just to grab an email address or phone number. I'm using Etch pretty much full time and actually feel a little annoyed when I have to turn on the Windows machine.

Lisa's XP Home needs reinstalling but we don't have a CD so I'm going to get price quotes from all three of the shops in Kingsland. Meanwhile she's preparing to change over to Linux as her primary OS. I've installed PCLinuxOS (her favorite Linux OS) on the machine and, once the ezine is put to bed, I'll get her email configured. We've figured out how to export her browser favorites and, with a bit of futzing around, how to export OE's address book as a comma delimited text file which, with some minor tweaking, can be reconfigured into something Kmail can use.

Transferring browser favs are simple if using Firefox. Getting the address book out of OE might take a "import" with Thunderbird. I've never had any luck with exported comma delimited files.

What kind of 'puter? I have the "restore disks" for eMachine (and perhaps Gateway).

The new box... well. It has a DVD drive. That seems to work, works for CDs anyway. The CDRW doesn't seem to work. Annoying is putting it mildly. Sure, XP sees the drive but the drive doesn't see any discs. :(

No matter, the box is going to replace a 486/100. But with much more disk space, etc. And, if I can figure it out and if Ubuntu will work, dual boot XP and Ubuntu... And running SlimServer.

Real Soon.

paul