[hllug] Fwd: Re: Re: digiKam

  • From: Don Crowder <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HLLUG <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:28:21 -0600

Argh, I like kmail but sometimes I have trouble sending mail.

Subject: Re: [hllug] Re: digiKam
Date: Friday 14 December 2007 17:12
From: Don Crowder <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Friday 14 December 2007 16:25, paul wrote:
> Don Crowder said the following on 12/14/2007 2:33 PM:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I've got my new XP machine tweaked, tuned and ready to use but I've only
> > bothered to turn it on a few times, usually just to grab an email address
> > or phone number.  I'm using Etch pretty much full time and actually feel
> > a little annoyed when I have to turn on the Windows machine.
> >
> > Lisa's XP Home needs reinstalling but we don't have a CD so I'm going to
> > get price quotes from all three of the shops in Kingsland.  Meanwhile
> > she's preparing to change over to Linux as her primary OS.  I've
> > installed PCLinuxOS (her favorite Linux OS) on the machine and, once the
> > ezine is put to bed, I'll get her email configured.  We've figured out
> > how to export her browser favorites and, with a bit of futzing around,
> > how to export OE's address book as a comma delimited text file which,
> > with some minor tweaking, can be reconfigured into something Kmail can
> > use.
>
> Transferring browser favs are simple if using Firefox.  Getting the
> address book out of OE might take a "import" with Thunderbird.  I've
> never had any luck with exported comma delimited files.
>

> What kind of 'puter?  I have the "restore disks" for eMachine (and
> perhaps Gateway).

It's an HP Pavilion 503w.  It's got a "restore" partition on the hard drive
but I don't know how to use it and don't really trust it because it wouldn't
be much help if the problem is the HDD, right?

> The new box... well.  It has a DVD drive.  That seems to work, works for
> CDs anyway.  The CDRW doesn't seem to work.  Annoying is putting it
> mildly.  Sure, XP sees the drive but the drive doesn't see any discs.  :(

Most DVD drives are "plug and play" in XP but I don't think that's
 necessarily true of CDRW drives.  You may need a driver.  Of course you may
 also have a bad drive.  I bought a CDRW drive yesterday, in Kingsland, for
 $10 and he had at least one other used one on the shelf.  You want I should
 check?
lemmeknow.
--
Don Crowder