[hllug] Re: Twins Progress - PDA Connectivity

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:19:42 -0600

Cranz Nichols wrote:
> More progress on the Twins:
>
> You may recall, from the previous exciting episode, I was trying to get
> my $3 Handspring Visor to sync up with Ubuntu 7.10.  No joy.
>
> After looking around the Ubuntu site, I found (and Lee also forwarded)
> the following info:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices
>
> Following the destructions in the URL I created a file named:
> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules
>
> and populated it with the following single line:
>
> BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="Palm Handheld*", KERNEL=="ttyUSB[13579]",
> NAME="pilot", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660"

For those reading this and wondering "why", the above is required to create
the device name "/dev/pilot" for the Palm synchronizing application
"Gnome-pilot".

In the "old days", before "UDEV", you could just make a symbolic link (fake
name that points to the real "file" name) to the real USB device
(/dev/ttyUSB*). With "UDEV" the entries under "/dev" are created
dynamically during the boot process as the hardware is discovered.
Everything under /dev is lost (not saved) when you shutdown the machine.

> I also made an additional entry in the file:
>
> /etc/modules
>
> of:
>
> visor

Visor is the "USB HandSpring Visor, Palm m50x, and Sony Clie driver".

> Eureka (and other vacuum cleaners)!  It works!
>
> Tnx to Lee.
>
> If anyone wants me to pick one of these up at the Goodwill Computer
> Store, let me know.  I have almost talked EA into one - to store numbers
> and addresses for her near the phone.

Ok, you can pick 1 up for me! I'll pay you this Saturday if you make it to
the Marble Falls meeting.

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter