[hllug] Old ComPaq P2

  • From: Cranz Nichols <CranzN@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LIST - HLLUG <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 19:15:15 -0600

After having black-eyed peas and cornbread for lunch, I felt lucky
enough to try diagnosing the ComPaq DeskPro that would not boot.

Apparently, it is the disc.  If I move the disc to another (identical,
in this case) computer, the 'other' PC refuses to boot.  Close enough...

So, I plan to bring this box to the Lakeshore meeting Saturday.  If
anyone wants it (and has a disc to replace the duff one), it is theirs.

I vaguely recall frustrating stuff about the BIOS - something about only
a relatively small hard disc being supported.  5G?  3.5G?  Memory fades.

So, if anyone wants to butt their head against the disc size limit wall,
this will be a good project for you.  Not as interesting as the IBM
ThinkPad 380D/DSL project*, but interesting enough.

HNY to all.

cln
Meanest Man on Emeralds Drive

*  I now think of it as my Spring Project.  No, not the season.