[hipl-users] Re: Using VLC with HIPL

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 12:55:00 +0200

Hi Lingyuan,

you just need provide the initial (working) mapping in hosts files (or from command line with hipconf). The IP address can then change dynamically during the streaming session and hipd handles mobility management procedures automatically.

P.S. HIPL also includes some DynDNS extensions for mobile clients, but I don't think you need it your experiments.

On 02/25/2015 12:01 AM, Lingyuan He wrote:
Sorry that this is becoming too long.

I am looking to produce this scenario even if IP of client is changing:
- run hip on both client and server
- streaming video from server to client (using HIT)

I read from the manual that hipdnsproxy can be used, but with mapping
information in either hosts file or DNS. Then is it true that each time
my client changing IP address (say in Wifi/DHCP environment), I must
manually update mapping to get the above scenario work? Or there is
another way around to detect another HIT dynamically?

I know that HIP is meant for finding the computer even if its IP address
is changing, then I am really confused if I need to do mapping every time.

Lingyuan

On 2/24/2015 7:18 AM, Miika Komu wrote:
Hi,

On 02/24/2015 04:52 AM, Lingyuan He wrote:
Hi Miika,

Thank you a lot for the answer, I got it working now.

Regarding mapping, how can I add record to /etc/hip/hosts (I actually
cannot find /etc/hip) and /etc/hosts? I cannot find info on HOWTO page.

since you're not using the binaries, the directory is
"/usr/local/etc/hip". I recommend using the binaries (make bin and
install the daemon package from the current or .. directory).

http://infrahip.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/HOWTO.html#sec_easy_methods

You can, for instance:

* overload everything in /etc/hosts files (HITs/LSIs need to be before
routables addresses)
* spread HITs and LSIs in hip/hosts file and routable addresses in
/etc/hosts (FQDN look up requires installation of HIP dnsproxy package)

If you're doing some quick testing, maybe just go for the first
approach. Remember that the hostname (FQDN) binds the different
entities in the hosts files together.

And is it possible for a HIT to have multiple mapping (IPv4 and v6 on
multiple interfaces)? How to do that?

You can have several mappings in the hosts files, but hipd just picks
up the first one.

Thanks again.

Lingyuan

On 2/22/2015 11:46 AM, Miika Komu wrote:
Hi Lingyuan,

On 02/20/2015 03:31 AM, Lingyuan He wrote:
Hi,

I am new to HIPL and I am trying to set up a minimum demo with VLC
2.0.8
on Ubuntu 12.04.

I installed all the dependencies, and built from source
(./configure &&
make && sudo make install). hipd was started on both server and client
(which are all on a same ethernet router).

And I follow the instruction on:
http://infrahip.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/HOWTO.html#sec_vlc
I have some problem getting HIT address, "hipconf get ha default" does
not return an address to me,

you found a typo in the manual, it should be:

hipconf daemon get hi default

I fixed this, the manual is going to be updated during the night.

so I use the IPv6 address from the
interface dummy0 (presumably this is HIT, right?). But I cannot see
video from client.

Start with something simple like:

hipconf daemon add map PEER_HIT PEER_IP
ping6 PEER_HIT
ssh -6 PEER_HIT

Remember that IPv6 addresses (or HITS) are specified inside brackets
[] to VLC. Alternatively, you can use LSIs (requires hipfw daemon) or
set hostname mappings in /etc/hip/hosts and /etc/hosts

Can any one help and explain?

Thanks a lot.

HTH, Miika.