[hipl-dev] Re: libconfig

  • From: Diego Biurrun <diego@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:50:35 +0100

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 08:40:56AM +0200, Miika Komu wrote:

> On 23/11/10 22:18, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> I think we need to decide what to do about the libconfig dependency in
>> the firewall.  I'm not sure why only the firewall needs it to parse
>> configuration files, but hipd and hipfw should be unified in this
>> regard.
>>
>> The dependency on libconfig is also not completely enforced.  We claim
>> it to be necessary in INSTALL, but not in the spec files.  So the packages
>> that get built (and we distribute) behave differently depending on whether
>> or not libconfig was available on the system at build time or not.
>>
>> Since the dependency is not recorded, this might result in a package that
>> contains binaries that are linked against libconfig without declaring a
>> dependency on libconfig in its metadata.  The result will be breakage.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> as a simple solution, what about just mandating libconfig in the spec files?

I'm fine with that, but then we should fail in configure if libconfig is
not available and get rid of the #ifdefs that suggest that a configuration
without libconfig is supported.

Also, IIUC libconfig is not available on CentOS 5.5, at least not without
configuring some extra package repositories (I'd be happy to know how).
Thus requiring libconfig basically means dropping support for CentOS 5.5.

Diego