[no subject]

  • From: Mark Varvayanis <varvayanis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 23:55:36 -0400

The long final is a point I am interested in. I have frequently been
chastised for short finals when the wind is strong, and have been reminded
that the sink over the valley could be very significant. My thinking is
that that is exactly why I avoid flying out over the valley. Flying into a
stiff wind allows a steep approach (although I must admit that I am looking
at the ground and not at the panel and can not guarantee that the turn is
completed 300' above the landing zone, but it is more than 300' AGL). Most
research I have seen has shown that tight turns (within reason) result in
fewer spins. Even low time pilots tend to be less likely to skid around a
steep bank, and it also appears that the higher speed and G's pulled during
a tight turn makes recovery from a stall quicker with less altitude loss.

I am familiar with the low wing is in slower moving air theory, does anyone
have data to show that this is a real problem?

At this point I am not convinced that Flarm is worth the investment. The
fleet stays near the airport and there is almost always plenty of near by
traffic. without very accurate bearing, distance and altitude reporting
there would be no way to know which of the near by aircraft you are not
noticing.

Mark