(no subject)

  • From: JLOENHOLDT@xxxxxxx
  • To: HLOENHOLDT@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:02:01 EST

 DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809, 284 AND 876

> THIS  IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED BY
> AT&T. DON'T EVER DIAL
> AREA
>
> CODE 809
>
> This one is being distributed all over the US. This
> is pretty scary,
>
> especially given the way they try to get you to
> call. Be  sure you
> read
>
> this and pass it on to all your friends and family
> so they don't get
>
> scammed!
>
> MAJOR SCAM:
>
> Don't respond to Emails, phone calls, or web pages
> which tell you to
> call
>
> an "809" area Phone  Number.  This is a very
> important issue of Scam
>
> Busters because it alerts you to a scam that is
> spreading
> *extremely*
>
> quickly, can easily cost you $2400 or more, and is
> difficult to avoid
>

> unless you are aware of it. We'd  like to thank
> Verizon for bringing
> this
>
> scam to our attention. This scam has also been
> identified by the
> National
>
> Fraud Information Center and is costing victims a
> lots of money.
> There are
>
> lots of different permutations of this scam.
>
> HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:
>
> You will receive a message on your answering machine
> or your pager,
> which
>
> asks you to call a number beginning with area code
> 809. The reason
> you're
>
> asked to call varies.   It can be to receive
> information about a
> family
>
> member who has been ill, to tell you someone
> has-been arrested, died,
>
> let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.
> In each case, you
> are
>
> told to call the 809 number right away.   Since t
> here are so many
> new
>
> area codes these days, people unknowingly return
> these calls. If you
> call
>
> from the US, you will apparently be charged $2425
> per-minute. Or,
> you'll
>
> get a long recorded message.  The point is, they
> will try to keep you
> on
>
> the phone as long as possible to increase the
> charges. Unfortunately,
> when
>
> you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged
> more than
> $24,100.00.
>
> WHY IT WORKS:
>
> The 809 area code is located in the British Virgin
> Islands (The
> Bahamas).
>
> The 809 area code can be used as a "pay-per-call"
> [...]

Juergen Loenholdt
1511 E. Florence Blvd. # 613
Casa Grande, AZ 85222
520-316-9152

NEW!- See HHSC Calendar on-line at  http://www.calsnet.net/hhsc - NEW!
For address changes or deletion from this e-mail list, contact
"webmaster[at_sign]harrishillsoaring.org".  To send a message to all HHSC
subscribers, simply address an e-mail to "hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx".