Re: New member section page: Predicting Wave around the Hill

  • From: Andrew Brayer <brayera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roy.mcmaster.1@xxxxxxxxx" <roy.mcmaster.1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 22:24:29 -0400

These three pictures are at 11,000 feet, in our 1-34, with a layer of
clouds at 4500 msl. On the ground it was gray and gloomy, several thousand
feet above the clouds it was sunny and beautiful. This was snowbird in 2009

On Thursday, October 1, 2015, Roy Mcmaster <roy.mcmaster.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

We have enjoyed many Gold Badge Climbs (9,843’) wave flights to
12,000’-14,000’ MSL at Harris Hill.

The wave is produced, not from a mountain, but from a series of about 5
deep valleys perpendicular to the wind flow ending with the Route 414
valley running from Corning to Watkins Glen.

The opportunity is usually missed because of focusing on ridge or thermal
lift – lack of situational awareness issue.

Some of the conditions needed are:

1. Wind direction ± 310° all the way up

2. Increasing wind velocity with altitude

3. Cloud streets perpendicular to the wind (really roll clouds,
situational awareness again)

The process to achieve as Gold climb:

1. Release on the ridge or else descend as low as comfortable in
the ridge lift, say 2,000’ MSL (300’ above HH ridge)

2. Climb to cloud base in ridge-thermal lift. (typically
4,000’-6,000’) MSL

3. Push upwind at cloud base into the wave lift

4. Fly into the wind or tack back and forth to stay in the lift.
Normal error is being blown downwind out of the lift zone.

5. If you are using an Oudie moving map, zoom into 1 mile and look
at the lift color values of the trace so you may move back to the best
location.

6. Prior experience says a line from the hamlet of Big Flats to the
“6” runway number at Elmira airport has been the best location

7. Be sure you have an approved IGC logger or barograph on board.

8. You may still enjoy the climb without a logger. Dress warmly!

Enjoy.

*SeeYou USA*

*Roy McMaster*

* "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the
rain!" Anon*

265 Lew Storch Road (South of Harris Hill and the National Soaring
Museum)

Elmira, NY 14903-9345

Office 607-734-4308

Fax 607-734-4309