RE: New member section page: Predicting Wave around the Hill

  • From: "Roy Mcmaster" <roy.mcmaster.1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tberry0916@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Harris Hill'" <hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:39:14 -0400

Hi All,

We have enjoyed many Gold Badge Climbs (9,843’) wave flights to 12,000’-14,000’
MSL at Harris Hill.

The wave is produced, not from a mountain, but from a series of about 5 deep
valleys perpendicular to the wind flow ending with the Route 414 valley running
from Corning to Watkins Glen.

The opportunity is usually missed because of focusing on ridge or thermal lift
– lack of situational awareness issue.

Some of the conditions needed are:

1. Wind direction ± 310° all the way up

2. Increasing wind velocity with altitude

3. Cloud streets perpendicular to the wind (really roll clouds, situational
awareness again)

The process to achieve as Gold climb:

1. Release on the ridge or else descend as low as comfortable in the
ridge lift, say 2,000’ MSL (300’ above HH ridge)

2. Climb to cloud base in ridge-thermal lift. (typically 4,000’-6,000’)
MSL

3. Push upwind at cloud base into the wave lift

4. Fly into the wind or tack back and forth to stay in the lift. Normal
error is being blown downwind out of the lift zone.

5. If you are using an Oudie moving map, zoom into 1 mile and look at the
lift color values of the trace so you may move back to the best location.

6. Prior experience says a line from the hamlet of Big Flats to the “6”
runway number at Elmira airport has been the best location

7. Be sure you have an approved IGC logger or barograph on board.

8. You may still enjoy the climb without a logger. Dress warmly!

Enjoy.

SeeYou USA

Roy McMaster

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!" Anon

265 Lew Storch Road (South of Harris Hill and the National Soaring Museum)

Elmira, NY 14903-9345

Office <tel:607-734-4308> 607-734-4308

Fax <tel:607-734-4309> 607-734-4309

Cell: 607-215-3447 <tel:607-215-3447>