[HFbeacons] Re: Realistic HTX-100 Repair

  • From: Howie AC4DJ <ac4dj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:43:03 -0500

The only time I worked on one of these was to replace the final transistor on one ( MRF-477 ) I got for 5 or 10 bucks in a yard sale. Luckily I still have a few of these finals around as they are discontinued. A lot of times a bad capacitor on the board will cause havoc. Look carefully at each cap for swelling on the top or leakage from the bottom..You may have to pull the faceplate off as there are bunch of caps on that board.

Also they used some type of epoxy to hold some parts to the board. I heard over time this can conduct and cause problems and should be removed.

Make sure the TX switch on the left is in the receive mode as turning the radio on will cause a blinking display if in TX.

Sometimes it might be better to just look for another one..I have 2 spare working radios and would never sell them as these radios have been around since the 90's and who knows how many people used the golden screwdriver on them. I just bought one from my brother in law WA2IHZ for 100.00 that was basically new in the box and the case never opened.

73, Howie AC4DJ 28.273.2

Les Rayburn wrote:
My HTX-100 seems to have given up the ghost during the testing phase of my new beacon. I had been running the transmitter and beacon keyer into a dummy load to test thermal drift, etc. Everything was fine for three days, then I came into the shack to find the unit powered off.

It powered up normally, but it had lost the stored memory of my transmit frequency. I re-tuned the VFO in SSB mode, then switched to CW. The unit display started flashing, and the TX indicators came on...even though the key was not connected. None of the switches seemed to affect things...and when I powered the unit off and back on, the condition persisted.

I removed the control knob to do a "hard reset"...but the condition repeats itself each time I switch into CW mode.

Is anyone aware of a technician who handles repairs on these old HTX-100's?