[HFbeacons] Re: Finally got my ticket

  • From: "Mark Garrett" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ka9szx" for DMARC)
  • To: "hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 20:09:53 +0000 (UTC)

Congratulations Brandon!  I hope you find that your General will be a breeze.
Once you get coordinated for a beacon as mentioned.  I have several
recommendations for beacons.  One is the CB radio conversion mentioned in other
postings.. The simpler the CB, the better.  I have had a beacon on the air
using a CB car alarm transmitter.  They are tougher to find but they are simple
enough you do not need a schematic to figure it out.  You can set it up through
voltage regulation to give you anything from milliwatts to 4 watts or so.
Another one that would be a good first project is the Wave Bender that uses a
7400 IC and two 2N3904 transistors mounted dead bug.
https://ia700800.us.archive.org/23/items/73-magazine-1991-05/05_May_1991.pdfYou
can find the article on page 26.  I had built one of these for my first beacon.
It ran about 250 mw and served me for four years till I pressed the CB car
alarm radio into service.
As for your keyer, there are several out there such as the pico keyer.  I am
using  the Freakin Beacon that is programmable via a serial port and Hyperterm.

Antennas can be anything that you can build to operate  on 10 but most use CB
antennas that are retuned for the ham bands.

Any way you decide to go I recommend that you try and do as much as you can on
your own rather than buying something already made.  You learn and develop your
skills plus have something to boast about once it is completed and on the air.
Best of luck and let us know what you decide upon here.
73Mark, KA9SZXKA9SZX/B 28.215

On Monday, November 30, 2015 9:05 PM, Brandon Jordan <swl.tn.usa@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi folks. I finally got my Tech ticket, going back for General on Dec 19.

I would really like to put a low power 10m beacon on the air, 1 watt or less.
Any advice on a cheap system?

--
73,
Brandon Jordan, KM4PBQ

WinRadio G33DDC G313-e | RFSpace SDR-IQ NetSDR | Elad FDM-S2 | Icom IC-7200
Array Solutions SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop
Clifton Labs Z1501F Active Whip
DX Engineering NCC-1 Phased ARAV3 Active Whips
Wellbrook ALA100HG Loop