[hashcash] Re: anti-spam collateral damage

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:11:20 -0500

Dave Harding wrote:

Eric S. Johansson wrote:

| I think we are actually an agreement, we're just trying to figure out | the boundaries. Once we agree, then we need to convince the rest of the | world. ;-)

You've been convincing me by inches in this rather abstract friendly
argument we've been having but your other post[1] gave me the chills.

I'm sorry that I scared you. But yes, blackholing is this destructive to the net as spam. Sometimes I see anti-spam vigilantes as being willing to destroy the net in order to save it.

I still feel that people who own an interface should control that interface. I think it's best to build up enough momentum behind a positive solution like hashcash that the vigilantes become dinosaurs through market force.

I'll see what I can do to accomplish this.

I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face. I've got a code base stored in darcs here. It may be ugly python but it's working. It handles the entire system of filtering and stamping with first generation differential pricing, friend listing, keyword white listing, individual user profiles, domain level filtering (but not stamping), postage based challenge response system (not recommended).

I'm adding a pop 3 based filter this week so that ISPs don't need to stick this in front of their entire mail system. I really want to see differential pricing at an individual address level but I just don't have the energy/resources to make it happen. Another very important loose end is feedback buttons for both Thunderbird and outlook. I've spoken with a couple folks who have volunteered but then things happened like them moving or a meteor plunges through their car. This may be a sign that I have not found the right person yet. ;-)

Further down the road I hope to put camram on a live CD so that you just food from CD, use USB flash for parameters and the system comes alive using hard drives only for spam filter data storage. It would be nice to make these CDs a fund-raising device for the camram project. But it would be more important to make it available so that people can install camram or a close relative easily and start using this technique.

which is how we will make vigilante dinosaurs. Make camram or some variant easy to use and make it visible.

I would be most grateful for any assistance.

---eric

--
Question: What's the difference between the Vietnam War and the Iraq War?
Answer: George W. Bush had a plan to get out of the Vietnam War.