[hashcash] Re: anti-spam collateral damage

  • From: Dave Harding <harda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:41:55 -0500

Warning, heavy snipping of previous post contained herewithin.

Eric S. Johansson wrote:

| In the case of the receptionist, you are counting on her/him to have
| some discriminating ability to allow non pre-authorized contacts
| through. But they're not omniscient.

This is true. What I also think is true is that the rules you linked to
are not going to provide me with an omniscient solution to the problem
of unwanted contacts that get through the filter or wanted contacts
that don't.

| The point remains that public interfaces are by the very nature part of
| the Commons we use every day.

s/the/their/ ?

This doesn't make private property a public interface. If someone were
to urinate on your front lawn, your private property, would you accept
the excuse that it was a public interface of the natural commons?

| Most people have no choice in ISP for in 60 percent of the United
| States, it's Comcast and nobody else.

This may be true. Still, people have a lot of options when it comes
to their email ISP. I, for one, have Comcast connectivity but not
Comcast email.

| so is a Bill of Rights needed?  As long as we have an effective duopoly
| for last mile service at high speed, I would say yes and for more than
| e-mail.  the EFF proposal is close but not perfect.  We should also
| build as many of those rights as we need in the form of good anti-spam
| technology of e-mail without building in censorship.  After all, if you
| can censor a spammer, you can censor anybody.  And I think that's the
| core point of the EFF argument.

I think that if you feel there's is a Mono- or Dual-opoly you should be
spending your time attempting to creating a more diverse market. Forcing
regulations down the throat of a monopoly is a distant second-place to
letting a diverse market compete, based on merit, for customers.

My main point, summarized: The anti-spam setup I have now is the result
of several years of trial-and-error and the thought of being force-fed
someone elses system is not desirable to me.

-Dave
--
GNU GPL: "The source will be with you... always."