[hashcash] Re: [Fwd: FW: Hashcash in mail (was: New Whitepaper: Anti Brute Force Resource Metering)]

  • From: Ben Laurie <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:33:18 +0100

Eric S. Johansson wrote:

A friend sent me this today. Peter is right of course but I believe it's possible to solve the problem without too much ugliness. I am beginning to think again about a solution to this problem. Which is the ever popular put something into DNS txt record such as:

   IN  TXT "hcrv 0; hcsv 1;bits 30; vwin 5d"

where
hcrv  = hash cash record version number for this record
hcsv = hash cash stamp version
bits = stamp bit size required;
vwin = validity window for stamp (may or may not want to reveal)

and if you're sending, check your own domain name record to make sure you set the right values.

if information is not valid or present, use your own settings as defaults.

yes?? no??

If you want to put this info in DNS, then register an RR type for it, rather than reusing the TXT record.