[openbeos] Re: terminal question

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:50:04 +0200 (CEST)

En réponse à Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> "Bruno van Dooren" <bruno_van_dooren@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > will the OBOS terminal have configurable color schemes like with
> > linux?
>
> The original BeOS terminal already has configurable color schemes.
> You'll find it in the menu under "Color..." - there you can set the
> colors of the background, selected text, the cursor, ...

I use it white-on-black here, in fullscreen on Workspace 0 :p
and I even have a Matrix scheme with green font (OCR A Extended)...
What do you want more ?

> > the reason i ask is that although i still think that a system should
>
> > be
> > completely manageable by GUI,
> > I have grown fond of vi. it really sucks to learn it, but once you
> > know it
> > it is powerful.
> > however in BeOS the terminal is really really boring.

- alias ls='ls --color=auto'
- rtfm google dircolors
- ...
 ?
What do you want more ? a background pic ? ;)
(Oh yes I know what I want, user off-switchable AA)

> Depends on your needs - for me, the BeOS terminal is perfect (the only
> addition that would make sense to me would be tabs) :-)
You can still open more and use sliding window tabs :p

> > it is sad that you need a terminal for it, but porting xvim seems a
> > lot of
> > work.
>
> We already have our own terminal application. The authors of MuTerm has
> graciously donated their terminal application to us, including a change
> of the license.
> Just have a look at it, if it suits your needs - if not, we can always
> exhance it (but be sure to contact its maintainer about it).

Nice to see he did.

François.