[openbeos] Re: suggestions: iconv.h, libiconv, and iconv

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:42:33 +0200 CEST

"Andrew Bachmann" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:37:35 +0200 CEST "Ingo Weinhold" <
> bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > We can as well build the `normal' version and write the <iconv.h>
> > functions as simple wrappers for the GNU ones.
> I'm okay with following this one too, especially since I got it
> working
> "manually".  Should I check libiconv into our cvs somehow?  Perhaps
> in current/src/libs/iconv?  The build system is configure/makefile,
> should I convert it to jam?

Please not yet! As I said, we should have a deeper look at libroots
needs first, and decide where to put it when we did that.
I don't think there is a point in putting it in now, only to have it
somewhere when it's going to be removed or moved soon (you remember,
stupid/simple CVS cannot move files around).

> Also, are you proposing that we write iconv functions in the
> header file that call libiconv functions?  I think it might be more
> straightforward to just build it in plugin mode.

I agree here. And still, the glibc iconv version directly exports the
right names.

> The only other nit I have left is how to address the prototype issue.
>
> I can add the gnu iconv.h to headers/libs/iconv and build only
> libiconv using it.  (gnu iconv.h has const and other messiness)
> If the other apps use the public posix/iconv.h header
> then the function will still presumably link. (right?)
>
> As far as I can tell the posix standard is to not use const:
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/toc.htm

OTOH if both, Linux and the BSD world is using "const", I see little or
no problems in using "const" as well.
But of course, in order to be fully Posix compatible, we would have to
ditch it.

Adios...
   Axel.