[openbeos] Re: some points

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:22:09 -0400

Maybe if I explain the problem that we were trying to solve, we can come up
with some good solution.

There was a lot of discontent that the status bars never moved. That they were
not a good indicator of status because, well, they didn't move.

Additionally, the point was made that some things that are not development
complete are in alpha, so having a simple 1-10 of development followed by an
alpha box and a beta box (which was in place when the new website went live, I
think) was deceptive, too.

So, the problem, generally is "how do we give an accurate representation of
status?". Where status can entail a number of things, including:
- percentage of development complete
- is it in alpha?
- is it in beta?
- is it mature?

Finally, there is one other feature that I would love to see, but I really
don't know how it would work. That is velocity. How much has been done in the
last, say, month. That would show activity (or lack thereof). Maybe CVS
checkins? That is a feature that could come much later.

So if anyone out there has a solution that fills all of those criteria, please
feel free to speak up! :-)